Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Today she's officially ours... Really this time

OK, I know that yesterday I posted that Hana was officially ours, and the Chinese part of the adoption was complete.  However, I was off by a day.  Yesterday we completed all of the paperwork for the adoption, which was then sent to the "passport" office where we went this afternoon.  Our guide had all of the official documents, which she showed at our appointment, along with our passports.  When it was our turn, we took the baby to get her photo taken, which only took a minute.  This was the last step in the process, and Hana is now officially ours, well at least according to the Chinese government.  The US part of the adoption is still to come, so I guess we are in limbo for the next couple of days.

As for the three of us, I think we are all beginning to settle into our new family.  After her meltdown on Gotcha Day, she has been a very easy going and happy baby.  She seems to be bonding well with both Brian and I, but I do think she is a bit more attached to me.  I told Brian that is because she can smell his fear of babies.  So far, she has been eating well, and she slept through the night last night.  She even pooped a few times, which is a pretty big deal because the babies are often constipated after Gotcha Day.  If she didn't poop, I was going to have to result to other methods to encourage that along, and I am VERY happy to say that I didn't have to go there.  That may have actually set me back a bit with the bonding.

So, after a couple good days, I think I was lulled into a false sense of security because today on the bus ride back to the hotel, she had a complete meltdown.  She cried, well, screaming is probably a little more fitting, and there was nothing I could do to calm her down.  I tried to feed her, but that made it even worse.  I don't think I have ever felt so helpless in my life, and it just broke my heart to see her so upset.  I'm not really sure what caused it, but I think the main culprit is teething.  She already had one tooth that just broke the gum on Gotcha Day, but she now has a second that you can see coming through, and I think it is really hurting her.  Which also explains why she didn't want to eat.  We did finally get back to the hotel, and she started calming down when we got off the bus.  She's not big on standing still, especially when she is fussy, which made it impossible to comfort her on the bus.  She did calm down on the way back to our room, and once we got there, we were able to make her a little more comfortable.  We changed her into a dry diaper, gave her some baby tylenol, and put orajel on her gums.  I gave her her bunny blanket and laid down with her and rubbed her head.  I think it was less than 5 minutes before she was sound asleep.  I think after the couple long days that she has had, along with a cold and teething, she is just tuckered out.  So Brian is going to grab some take out, and we will spend a nice, and hopefully quiet night watching Chinese TV.  

2 comments:

TAA said...

Jenn- Congrats!! Hana is so cute and you look very happy! I can't believe you are already there and have her in your arms. We have been told that we may travel in as little as 4 or 5 weeks!! It is a crazy but exciting time. Wishing you safe travel and good bonding time with your little one. She is darling.
Hope the orajel holds out.

TAA said...

Oh- Jenn, I forgot to use my RQ name the comment I just left, oops - I'm Moonpie! Ha. And I forgot to thank you for your message. You'll see her pic when you get home-if you have a spare second!
-moonpie