Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Consulate Appointment

Today was our consulate appointment, but we didn't actually have to go to the consulate.  Our guide collected everyone's paperwork, and she took it to the consulate.  The only thing we needed to do was be in our room between 10:00 and 11:00 in case there were any questions.  She called and let us know that everything was fine, so the rest of the day was free.  Unfortunately, after being on this island for 10 days, there really isn't much left to see.  We walked around for a bit, trying to get Hana used to the stroller before the long layovers on the trip home.  She did stay in it for about a block, but after that, I carried her and Brian pushed the stroller.  We did walk through Shamian Island Park, where there is always something going on.  There are always people in the park doing Tai Chi, although earlier in the morning is the best time to catch that.  Today there were a group of kids playing what I would call Chinese hackeysack, although it's not really a sack, but it is kicked the same way.  There was a group of people who were singing, while one woman was standing in the front pointing to the words.  It reminded me of music class as a kid or singing hymns in church.  A little further up the path was another  group of people who were ballroom dancing.  There was one couple who was really good, and we watched them dance the Tango.  Then there was the old ladies playing the high stakes mah jong under the White Swan bridge.  I think we are going to try and go out again tomorrow with the video camera so we can try and capture the experience as best as we can.

I also started getting everything sorted and ready to be packed.  I have a pile of things that thankfully, we didn't need, so I will leave them for our guide.  I also made up some bottles for the trip home just in case we needed to make a formula run.  We did cut it pretty close, but I think that we do have enough to get home with a couple extra just in case we get delayed.  We also went out to dinner with one of the other families tonight, and then stopped to pick up our laundry.  I bought another little outfit for Hana to wear to Chinese New Year when she is a little older, as well as a few more pairs of squeaky shoes.  Brian did tease that I am going to force him to buy another suitcase for all of her shoes, but I told him we would be fine.  I did work on packing after Hana went to sleep, and with the exception of what we will need tomorrow and Friday morning, I pretty much have everything packed and ready to go.  And there is still plenty of room left in the suitcase, just in case I feel like doing a little more shopping.  :)

1 comments:

Debbie Sauer said...

Have a safe journey home. Try putting some toys on the stroller for her. That should help keep her entertained and it won't be long before she loves being in the stroller. It happened to us also while we were in China. Blessings.