Monday, August 17, 2009

Guangzhou Zoo and Bus Troubles

Today we went to the Guangzhou zoo, where we spent about two hours this morning.  It's not a huge zoo, but it did have a giant panda.  However, like the rest of us, he thought it was too hot to do a whole lot today.  He was just lounging in the corner of his cage.  Every now and then, he'd get up and walk from one side to the other, which I think was just to please the spectators so they would go away and let him get back to his lounging.  I guess I can't blame him for that.  After the panda, we wondered around until we found the bird section, where we probably spent a majority of our time.  Of course, it was our love of birds that drew us there in the first place, but it was the abundance of cool, shady spots that kept us there so long.  And there were plenty since trees are essential to any good bird habitat.  They had peacocks, which they actually translate into Pea Foul in English.  There were a few males walking around, but none of them were inclined to give us a show of the beautiful feathers.  There were also a lot of parrot varieties, especially macaws.  There were a few scarlet macaws, blue and gold (although they call them blue and yellow), and there was even a grey.  However, the grey was no where to be seen, so I think it was inside the nesting box, and there was no coaxing it out.  Shocking that it just didn't want to cooperate.  I really was hoping to show Hana so she knew that she had one of those waiting at home.  One thing that I found a bit different than zoos in the US is that this one also had an amusement park.  I know that Busch Gardens has some animals, but I have never seen it the other way around.  The zoo is currently right in the middle of the city, but Kelly did mention that the zoo will be moving to the mountains in 2012 so they can get the animals away from the pollution of the city.  Makes sense, especially the birds since they have such sensitive respiratory systems.

By noon, we were definitely ready to get on that bus and head back to the air conditioned hotel.  However, we seemed to run into some very interesting bus troubles.  Our bus driver pulled close to the curb so we could all get on without having to dodge traffic.  However, he got a little bit too close to the tree on the side, and he took out about half of the windows on that side of the bus.  What was worse is that once the tree branch broke the window, it was then basically inside the window just enough that the bus got stuck on the tree.  He started to rock it back and forth, which then took out the last window remaining in the back.  After a few more minutes of rocking, he finally managed to get the bus loose, but as he pulled out, he hit the mirror on another bus.  The driver of the other bus came running out of his bus, shouting at our driver.  Very much like a crash in the US, except I just didn't understand what I assume were Chinese profanities.  I felt so bad for our driver because he really didn't damage the other bus, but you know that he would have some serious explaining to do about what happened.  Kelly quickly called to arrange for another bus to come and pick us up, and we waited in an air conditioned building at the zoo.  It was Kelly's first bus incident, so I assured her that this will make for a very funny story for us to tell about our trip.  Of course, we definitely got pictures of the bus damage to go along with the great story!

Hana had another really good day.  Each day, I can see her come out of her shell more and more.  She is getting more and more chatty, even around other people.  Today she has been laughing non-stop at everything.  I had her laughing so hard at dinner that she got the hiccups.  I wasn't even doing anything, but I guess she just realizes that mommy is silly, and laughs at me along with everyone else.  She did fantastic at dinner, so there is hope that I may actually get to go out and eat every now and then.  The first few times in a restaurant didn't go so well, so I assumed that my days of eating out are over.  However, since we pretty much have to eat out for most meals here, we are working out a strategy, and she is able to make it through dinner without getting too mad.  So I'm crossing my fingers that I will get a break from cooking every now and then.

We don't have anything planned until tomorrow afternoon.  We finished up most of our shopping today, so I think that I will start to think about my packing strategy so I can get it all back home without going too far over our weight limit.  The baby doesn't get a checked bag since it's a lap ticket, but she does get a personal item, which leaves us with an additional carry on.  I think we are going to get a wheelie carry on for some of the breakable stuff, as well as some extra clothes and baby stuff since our trip back will take so long.  I also think I may try to squeeze in a little pool time tomorrow as well, just to see if she likes that a little better than a bath.  Tomorrow afternoon is the traditional red couch photo, and we will all go out for our final group dinner afterwards.  Kelly will take all of our paperwork to the US consulate on Wednesday (gotta love that we don't have to go to our consulate appointment), and we go to get her passport and the swearing in ceremony on Thursday.  That will finish up the US part of the adoption so we can get on the plane and head home on Friday.  I have really enjoyed my time here in China, but I am ready to get home, sleep on a soft bed, and eat a big, huge salad!

1 comments:

Stu Glaser said...

WOW - it sounds like you guys are truly having an adventure.

We're enjoying your posts and looking forward to meeting Hana.

Brian - did you find any too-good-to-be-true Canon deals?