Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Red Couch Day

Today was Red Couch photo day.  For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, the Red Couch photo has become a tradition for Chinese adoptions.  The babies are usually dressed in traditional Chinese silk dresses, and they are sat on one of the red couches to get their photos taken.  First we took pictures of each individual family, and then we put all of the babies on the couches to get their pictures taken.  For our group, this part was slightly complicated, very funny, and extremely cute.  I think there is only one baby in our group who can actually sit up by herself, so all of the rest of the babies needed some assistance.  We put all of the babies on the couch together, and we managed to get them all wedged in so that they managed to support each other enough so they didn't all fall over.  However, one of the babies in the group decided to move, and then the others started to fall over like dominoes.  It was really quite funny... a bit like slap stick comedy.  Luckily, I used a bit of strategy and placed Hana on the corner, so she was supported on both sides and didn't fall over like the others.  I am also very proud to say that our girl behaved so well.  She did not cry at all during the photos, and I think she and Josie were the only two babies who didn't cry.  However, in the defense of the others, she has had Brian sticking a camera in her face for the past week, so she has actually become a bit of a ham.  Anytime a camera comes out, my girl strikes a pose. 

Since the photos weren't until this afternoon, we had most of the day free.  We all slept in this morning, and yes, I got very lucky with a good sleeper.  We got up and walked to Starbucks for Mommy and Daddy's morning fix, and then we went to breakfast.  After Hana's morning nap, we decided to give the pool a try.  I was a little leery because she HATES a bath, and I think if she cried at the pool as much as she does when she is being bathed, China may try and take her back.  But the pool went ok.  I don't know that she actually liked it, but she didn't hate it either.  She didn't cry when we put her in the water, but she did have this look of concern on her face.  After a few minutes in the pool, she did start splashing in the water a little, but that laugh never really came out.  We stayed in the pool about half an hour, but we decided to get out while she was still somewhat content.  So, I think we will need to build up to actually loving the pool, but at least she doesn't hate it.  We brought her back and thought that maybe a bath would be a little more tolerable after the pool, but it seems her opinion on that has not changed a bit!


We are pretty anxious to get home, and we started our packing during Hana's nap time today.  We wanted to assess whether or not we would need to buy another suitcase, but I think Brian managed to keep my shopping enough under control that it won't be necessary.  We did buy a small carry on, which we kind of thought we would need to do anyway.  Because we were told that there was a weight restriction for carry on bags, which isn't checked by the way, we didn't bring a carry on suitcase over, and I used her diaper bag as my carry on.  Since we have her on the way back, she gets a personal item, so I can now bring on the wheeled bag.  I also think that with 26 hours of total travel time, I am going to need the extra space for diapers, formula, and a change of clothes for everyone!  Plus, it was pretty inexpensive, and it can't be worse than the Samsonite we already have.  If we make it home with the zipper intact, then it is even better!

4 comments:

Nicki said...

Very cute pictures. I looked in the album and see how hard it was to get the perfect picture. Too funny!

I found out my sister's friend is in China right now getting her baby too. Did you happen to meet a Beth? She is the one I told you about that Amy taught with.

Have a safe trip home! Thanks for the updates! I have loved following along!

Dawn said...

So precious! Did I tell you that my little Yangxi girl sucked her 2 finger too! Luckily she broke herself of it at 3. I still love seeing photos of her doing it though.

Can't wait to see home updates. Safe travels!!!

Anonymous said...

Boy I needed a good laugh today and that post did it. Too funny about the babies falling like dominoes. I love the picture of you, Brian and Hana. What a beautiful family. :) Have a safe trip back home. I'll see you soon.
Steph

w8tn4 said...

OMG! These pics are just beautiful! I think everyone who goes through China has those Red Coach pics. Our groups didn't turn out so hot... they were all crying and screaming except our Shasha who was just looking at us like "come on take the picture already!"